Thursday, October 18, 2007

Tutorial for Dog Cookies

Oc-Tute-ber tutorial #8 for:
Ma's Seven Way Dog Cookies

This is my Ma's recipe for dog cookies. They're not hard to make but if you just don't have time to follow ALL of these steps, you can buy the mix here (and benefit a good cause-the Yorkie Angel Patrol). My mom and other helpers put together cute little baking sets that include cookie cutters and mix and come in a reusable cloth drawstring bag.

The recipe:

dry ingredients:
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached or all purpose flour
1/4 oat bran
3/4 cup dry milk
1/2 cup oatmeal (ground fine in the blender)
2 teaspoons beef or chicken bouillon (optional, I don't add this)

Step one is grinding up your oatmeal. You can use either quick cook or old fashioned, it doesn't matter.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together.

To this, add your wet ingredients:
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 to 3/4 cup hot water

And ONE and only ONE special ingredient from the following list:
1/4 cup dried cheese
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup dried veggies, chopped fine
1/4 cup dried fruit, chopped fine (not raisins)
1/4 apple sauce
1/2 to one small jar of any baby food (meat, fruit or veggies)

The key to this step is waiting to add the hot water until after you add your special ingredient. You can see I am adding a jar of stage 2 sweet potatoes
baby food. (I add the whole jar because, really, what am I going to do with 1/2 jar of baby food? If it was pineapple or fruit salad flavor, I'd eat it but sweet potatoes? No thanks.) If I had added water beforehand, it would have been way too wet because really if you add the whole jar, you won't need much water at all, maybe a tablespoon or two. If you add dried cheese as your special ingredient, you will definitely need more water. The consistency you want is like sugar cookie dough because you will be rolling it out. It should not stick to the bowl.

Which brings us to the next step! Roll it out. I forgot to take a picture of this step apparently, but I roll it out onto a couple of sheets of cling wrap. This is because I do not use cookie cutters. I make cookies by the sheet and cut them into snaps, as I will show you next. But you can certainly roll it out, cut cute shapes with cutters and transfer them onto a cookie sheet. I do that for special occasions like Sully's birthday party but for everyday cookies, I make snap biscuits.

I flip my rolled-out dough onto a cookie sheet by laying the cookie sheet face down over the rolled-out dough, bringing it toward the edge of the counter and then quickly flipping both so that the dough lands on top of the cookie sheet. Then I peel the cling wrap off, which is what you see here.

You might remember this pizza cutter action from the egg noodles tutorial. I am very fond of the pizza cutter, it's my secret weapon! I cut the dough first in one direction and then in the other to make small squares. If the dough sticks to your cutter, lightly flour the top.

Here's a sheet of cookies, all ready for the oven. You do not need to separate the cookies before baking. You are essentially perforating the dough so that once it's baked, they snap apart easily.

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip all the cookies over. This is easily done since they can be flipped with a large spatula in sections. Bake for another 10-15 minutes. I usually let them bake until the edges are just turning a darker brown. Cool completely until they harden. Break into individual cookies and store in an airtight container.


  1. Interesting post. I just got a cat and I'm not sure he'd like this, but I'll have to be on the look out.

  2. I think actually a cat might like them if you used turkey or beef baby food! However, they are very grain-based so I would probably make a 1/2 batch and not feed them very often. Here is a page with a few cat treat recipes!

  3. Hi Jenna! Wow...those little doggie cookies look great! I like your idea of cutting them into little bite-sized pieces. I'll bet they are great training treats.
    Have a happy weekend! Cathy ^..^

  4. Hey, found you on Fresh Vintage, if you want smell gone from must anything, try this, it is a cheap but works, One open box of baking soda, and one piece of charcoal(barbacue will work)place in suitcase, zip shut, leave a couple of days, wallla no smell.

  5. Thanks Jenna, these look great! I might have to build a batch for Ozzy and Lola!

  6. Those sound great to make and I already have most of the ingredients. We love treats!

    1. That's the nice thing, they are super easy and the recipe is flexible!

  7. Great treat recipe! :) Adding baby food sounds like it'd give it a pretty smooth texture.

    1. The baby food is a great trick. We always try to have some around the house to entice sick animals to eat, and of course to make treats! Also good frozen into pupsicles!

  8. Mmm . . . applesauce! Can't wait to try these treats!

    1. When we make applesauce cookies, we add a touch of cinnamon and some chopped dried cranberries! Try it!