Thursday, October 4, 2007

Hankie Tussie Mussie Pocket Tutorial


Oc-Tute-ber tutorial #3 for:
Hankie Tussy Mussy Pocket Tutorial


I LOVE hankies! I collect hankies. I have over 100 easily. And sometimes you find some extra cheap because they have a tear or stain on them. These are cute little pockets made from vintage (or repro) hankies. You can get 4 pockets out of each hankie if it isn't damaged. But I have a hard time cutting a hankie that is perfectly lovely and unmarred. So I usually use my stained or torn hankies. You can see in one of the photos that this hankie has a tear in the middle of the left side, but because of its location, I could still get 4 pockets out of it! Bonus!

You'll need:
Hankies, their size determines the size of your pocket, I like to use fairly large ones, at least 12" square. The one in this demo is 16" square.
Fabric glue
Ribbons and rickrack
Scissors
An Iron
Heavy starch

Start by ironing and starching your hankie heavily. I usually spray the starch on one side, iron that side, then flip and repeat so that it is nice and crisp. Try and keep it as square as possible.


Then you'll have to do the unthinkable, CUT a hankie. It was hard for me the first time because I love them but just remember they'll still be around and in a more useful and adorable form! Cut your hankie into four equal squares.


To make the pocket we will be folding the corners in on the diagonal. This photo shows you the fold lines.


Now, I assemble my pockets using glue because I like things quick and snappy! But you could easily hand sew each of the next steps using a running stitch for a homespun look. To do it the quick and snappy way, apply a thin line of glue along the edge of one folded-down corner. You can see that I have cut a piece of junk mail to fit inside my pocket because the glue with seep through thin hankie material and you pocket could stick together and cease to be a pocket but more like a stiff, gluey hankie.


Fold the other edge onto the glue and press. Now it's time to start embellishing! Choose some ribbon or rickrack for the front of your pocket. Glue this to hide your glued seam.


Next, we apply ribbon or rickrack to the inside of the pocket. Measure out a length that will go completely around the edge. Apply a thin line of glue inside the front of the pocket. Starting with the center of your length of rickrack or ribbon, apply this to the center front inside your pocket.


Follow that by applying a thin line of glue to both top edges inside the pocket. Here is our pocket with rickrack glued along the entire inside edge.


Next we apply our hanging loop. Make a loop of ribbon, gluing together at the raw edges. Then glue this loop to the top back point of the pocket.


To cover up our raw loop edges and any glue seepage from the inside ribbon/rickrack, we apply ribbon or rickrack to the outside edge using the same thing line of glue method. Also make and glue a lovely bow onto the front, which I forgot to do until after the photo shoot so it's missing in my completed shot above. Oops! Here is the front:


and back of our finished pocket:


These are great for holding flowers and candy for a little gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment