Monday, August 6, 2007

A-Z of me

F is for Farm Life

For the last half of my childhood, I lived on a farm. We moved the summer after third grade and I was sure I would miss my friends terribly. I did for about a week after the move. But I soon got used to the solitude and I'm sure that's when most of my crafty talents were formed, forced to entertain myself and unable to run to the store to pick up doll clothes or candy or hair accessories, my mom and I made them. I also developed a deeper understanding of animals, plants, nature, reproduction, breeds of cattle, sheep sheering, chicken dressing, the life cycle of dragonflies, and small engine repair than I'm sure I would have in the city. One of my friends always says if she were stranded on a dessert island, she would be lucky to have me there because I could definitely keep us alive, fed, clothed, warm and dry. I could probably even entertain us for a little while.
Farm facts:
Muscovy ducks are mean.
Dogs love to eat the pieces of horse hooves that the farrier shaves off.
A farrier is the person who trims and shoes horses' feet.
Both male and female cows have horns. Unless they are polled or hornless breed. Or have been dehorned.
Jacob sheep can have up to six horns! Usually 2 or 4 though.
Oxen are really just adult cattle trained to drive, not a specific breed or species.
When driving horses or oxen, Gee means turn right and haw means turn left.
Brown eggs are no more or less nutritious than white eggs. It is deterimned by the breed of chicken that laid them and most commercial poultry farms have White Leghorns which lay white eggs. But often hobby farms have more exciting varieties such as Bardrocks, Rhode Island Reds, Turkens, Wyandottes or my favorite, little Cochens, all of which lay various colors of eggs.
Araucanas can lay pink, blue, green, yellow, brown or speckled eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment