Monday, August 13, 2007


Miss Bella Dia's Encyclopedia of Me meme was inspired by the book Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Rosenthal so I ordered it from the library. I'm a very slow reader, so I've only just begun but one quote struck me as particularly pertinent to my crafty life.

"Spend it, shoot it off, lose it, all right away, every time. Do not hoard what seems good...for another book...The impulse to save something good for a better place later is the signal to spend it now."
-Annie Dillard, The Writing Life

A book quoting a book, and yes it's about writing. But I find that I have always saved special things for "another time" or a "special project." And then they languish away, beautiful ribbon or vintage buttons tucked away in a drawer, lovely rub-on letters and decoupage images waiting for some elusive magical project rather then the everyday ones. But I find that when I use these special trimmings or supplies, my project becomes something special and I am so much more happy with it. I have tried, in the past year or so, to break out and use my stash rather than hoard it away. I bought cute storage so I could see it every day and enjoy it, and also so it is easy to get at and use. I don't know how common this is, maybe it's just my upbringing to scrimp and ferret things away for a rainy day. But I suspect there are other crafters out there with supplies aching to get out of the box, bin or drawer. My advise: Start small, use one item and see if you don't enjoy the process and the finished piece. You won't miss it being hidden away, I guarantee.

1 comment:

  1. Great quote...I like the reminder to enjoy all now! Happy Day! :o)