Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sweet!

Sarah requested a few recipes since I mentioned my fondness for baking. I will share my prize-winning sugar cookie recipe and another sweet dessert.

These sugar cookies won first place (never mind that they were the only ones entered) at the county fair in the decorated cookie division. They are called Sugar Shortbread Cookies because they are crumbly like shortbread, and hold their shape superbly! They are the closest I have come to my dear Cookies by Design, which I dearly love but only get on VERY special occasions because they cost an arm and a leg.

3 eggs
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
3 cups flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Whip sugar and shortening together. (Make sure to do this until it is fluffy, very fluffy.) Add eggs and beat well. Add vanilla and mix to combine. Sift in remaining ingredients and mix just to combine. Chill dough. (I always wrap it in two flattened balls in plastic wrap.) Roll out and cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

And the frosting I use is:
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 stick margarine, room temperature
3-4 tsp. milk

Mis all together until smooth. This replicates the frosting on Cookies by Design and doesn't get completely hard but you cans till stack them without them sticking together.

This recipe is for Fairy Pudding. One of the cookbooks I got on Saturday is an old recipe pamphlet (another of my collections) from Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. I LOVE that stuff. My mom always says she could eat it straight from the can. This is one of her recipes, from her mother I believe. Sweetened condensed milk was popular during the war because it is nutritious as milk, keeps well and is already sweetened so you didn't have to buy extra sugar to use in your desserts.

3 cans Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
2 containers of cool whip
1 box vanilla wafer cookies

Boil the milk in the cans for 3 hours with a lid on the pan. You may need to add more water before it's done. Mix boiled milk with cool whip. In a large cake pan (9x13) alternate layers of the cookies and the milk mixture. Refrigerate until the cookies are completely softened. Do not try to use reduced fat cookies and do NOT mistake evaporate milk for sweetened condensed milk. Mmmmm, this makes me hungry for fairy pudding! It is VERY sweet and such a treat, we would only have it at Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. Super recipe...thanks for sharing! :o)rojkvjh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow a twofer! I cannot wait to try the cookies, must decide if the heat will stave off baking. I may not be able to wait to break out the new cookie cutters.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the recipe for sugar cookies. Can one substitute butter for the shortening?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would very much imagine butter would work perfectly fine since shortbread is butter and sugar. I just always have shortening and very rarely have butter around.

    ReplyDelete