Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sad News


Roswita
Originally uploaded by Corgipants
In the midst of all the Halloween fun and festivities, we have had a sad event occur. Roswita, the decade-old fancy goldfish passed on. She was looking sickly, having not eaten in about four days, and took a turn for the worse. I kept putting food in every night, hoping for the best but it seems her time had come. Today she was worse, struggling to right herself and with some obvious loss of motion in her tail so I had to make the decision to make her death quick and hopefully painless rather than prolong the inevitable and have her starve to death slowly. I hope I made the right decision. I know, it may seem silly to be putting so much thought into a goldfish but she was with us for over 5 years. We adopted her (along with two other fish) from a family that was moving away and couldn't take her. She'd been with us through two moves and had grown to nearly 8 inches. It will be very quiet in her corner without the blurb-blurb of her happy tail stirring the water.

10 comments:

  1. She was a much-loved pet. Your thoughts on her are not silly.

    Putting a pet down is hard. So very hard. (My Scully was put down yesterday. She was 10. She was my shadow.)

    Know that you're being though of today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I am so sorry. I feel this way anytime I lose a fish, even though some people say it's "only" a fish, it's totally not. I too have had goldfish that lived more than 10 years and it's really hard to lose one, they have such little personalities...you made the right choice in not letting him suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I'm sorry. I was really bummed when I lost my Beta, they're pets, not "just" fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We too had adopted fish. Someone told me they were guppies, I don't know, there were five of them and then they spawned and there were about 100. Their tank sprang a leak and I had to pull them all out. The stress and the muck from the bottom of the tank were too much for them. Sadly they too met their maker via the porcelain taxi. My seven year old, Logan, patted me on the arm as I wept and said, "It's okay Mom, they're just fish". But I felt the loss of each one. I grieve with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear this sad news. That's not an easy thing to do, but I think you did the right thing. You are a good soul Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry to hear about Roswita! you did the right and kind thing,though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about Rosita. She was surely well cared for to have such a long life with you. xo Cat ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for your loss.

    Losing any pet can be tough, and feeling silly about feeling loss when the pet is something people are supposed to be "less attached" to is also tough.

    10 years is a very long time. You were obviously a spectacular pet owner.

    I'm still dealing with the fact that I killed 3 fish in a row - unintentionally. My favorite fish that I'd had for 4 years got white spotty and died within days. I cleaned EVERYTHING, sterilized EVERYTHING, and eventually got a new fish. Same thing happened within a week. Took the (dead) fish back to the store, they tested the water, it was fine - and so they gave me a new fish. Same thing happened... They tested the water for more things this time, but came up with nothing. My Fourth fish started to get all white fuzzy spotty... and on a whim I used different food than I had been using, and the spots cleared up.

    I was feeding them poisoned food! I still can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's sad! :( Sorry that she had to go. I bet if she can speak she would be really thankful for taking good care of her through those years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have fish too and we also grow attached. Nothing silly about that! Plus, goldfish live a long time and really do have personalities that show.

    ReplyDelete