Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fanciful Twist Halloween Blog Party!



Fanciful Twist is hosting a Fantabulous Blog Party for Halloween today! So I thought I'd show you my most recent project and my entry hall decor.

I saw some great banners in Woman's Day magazine that used newsprint in a really fun way! I've never thought of newsprint as a craft medium except for making mock-ups and pattern pieces. But when you think about it, it's black and white, perfect for Halloween and has a sort of scientist-bookish-vintage feel to it. But it's not very durable so I lined it with cardstock to give it more rigidity and hopefully be able to use them in years to come. They are stung onto knobby yarn.

This one is hanging in my entry way and I think it really completes my spooky mirror area. On the shelf are fun holiday knick-knacks I've picked up over the years. The skeleton is a nut-cracker! And of course my spooky prints from Mom found a home for the holiday!

The longer one (and boy is it long, about 8 feet long) is for work and will hang in front of my office, facing the library where the party is held on Halloween. More about the work festivities next week when we are allowed to start decorating the library! (We have a conference and guests this week and I suppose they don't want to see dismembered limbs sticking out of the scanner or bats hanging from the light fixtures!

These two paper cutout decorations are in the kitchen. They are kind of beat up and kitschy but they remind me of school classroom party decorations from years gone by so I keep them around.

19 comments:

  1. Hello,
    love the banner! Nice seeing you here at the party! Try to visit me to enter the giveaway!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't like dismembered fingers or flying bats at work? What is WRONG with those people!? I have a few of those beat up old cardboard decorations from long ago as well. Kitschy but I can't resist keeping them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Blog Hopping from Vanessa's "A Fanciful Twist" Party <{:O)
    Stop by my place too... I'm having a couple of give-aways!
    Have a bootiful day!
    Be Enchanted!
    ~A~

    ReplyDelete
  4. The banners are wonderful. I love the black cat in the pumpkin. I have decorations like that in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your banner, Jenna. And those cut outs remind me of school, too! Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Warmly, Cat ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great baner! Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Hauntings!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping on from A Fanciful Twist!! Love the banners and the old school days wall signs. Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Halloween post, filled with adorable delight. I feel like just like a kid again going from blog to blog picking up such delightful treats. Happy Halloween. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Halloween banner!
    Happy Halloween!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just hanging out over at a Fanciful Twist’s party and I thought I’d check out your blog! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love love love that banner!! Wonderful! Happy Cackling!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dropped in from the Blog party list; I love the old prints your mom gave you; how cool! Then I began browsing on your blog site, and I enjoyed it so much I've bookmarked you. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what wicked fun Halloween decorations! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your banner is lovely and I greatly enjoyed visiting your blog. Happy Halloween !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome Halloween banner..! That skeleton is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your banners! And I swear we had that pumpkin with the kittyin it hanging up in the house when I was a kid. The skeleton nutcracker is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Banners! You are so crafty. I love that!

    Thanks for joining in on the party fun. Be sure to link back to my Halloween Party so everyone else can join in on the fun too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful decorative items, and beautiful blog, I love corgi's too, but don't own one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need a banner! Would have never thought to use newspaper! So cute! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete