Sunday, August 24, 2008

Buttons, buttons, who's got the buttons?

So, did I get the swap apron done in time to go to the giant rummage sale with my lovely mother? No, I cheated and still went, though still following my self-imposed rule because my lovely mother informed me she was ill and I had to go alone. Didn't get much, an accent chair for the master bedroom, some ikea curtains (most likely to be used for sewing, not curtains) and some wrapping paper and crochet cotton. But at a yard sale following the big rummage sale, I hit the jackpot!

I forgot to take pictures of them but my big find were vintage hats! I have a wedding to go to in October and am making a dress but need a hat to go with it and I found several to choose from!

I also found jars of vintage buttons, somewhat color-coded, but each jar has neutrals in addition to whatever color the jar is based on. There were 10 jars but I only bought 6. Do any of you do this? When I find something great, a big stash of something neat, I always feel bad buying it all up. I almost never buy it all because I like that feeling and want others to be able to find their own special something too!
Here are some of my favorites! A lot of them have rhinestones and there are multiples of most buttons.
And I got a large bag of vintage doll clothes, all needing a good wash and press. Here is what I found:

Baby-doll clothes, which I really have no use for. Do you? I have no baby dolls as I've never really liked them, much to my mother's chagrin.


These are all a little large for my needs, they would fit maybe 18-20" dolls. Some very cute things! Mostly hand-sewn, but all have wear and some have rips. I just have to show you this one up close. We all have favorites, right? Did you have a favorite dress to put on your dolls? Well, this must have been a particular favorite of someone because it has been worn nearly transparent. You can see the pattern it used to be on the edge of the collar, a blue and white flower print. But the fabric is nearly see-through now.


And these are JUST what I needed! They are for a project that I just thought of last week so it is especially fortuitous that I found them this weekend! A hint-they fit My Friend Mandy dolls! All need some repair but they deserve it!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! I love old buttons! Wonderful candy! Also I linked to your chicken scratch tutorials. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you hit the jackpot between the buttons and the doll clothes!

    ReplyDelete