Saturday, January 24, 2009

Soup Swap, the cooking

In preparation for the soup swap at work, I spent this afternoon cooking a HUGE pot of soup! I had never made this recipe before so I wanted to make it today so that I could try again if it was bad. Great news: it is terrific! I picked this recipe for My Favorite Carrot Soup particularly because it says it freezes well. I tripled the recipe and it went all the way to the top of my biggest stock pot so I transferred some of it to another pot for the initial cooking. After pureeing it, I mixed it all together and added the last ingredient, orange juice! This recipe also has peanut butter and ginger in it, a really unique taste but still savory from the onion, garlic and spices. (See what soups I got in return at my post Soup Swap, The Swapping.)
All pureed and lovely! Another great thing about making it today is that I can participate in Joyously Living Life's Blogger Soup Swap!
Here they are on my freezer, there are two more behind these.

And for dessert! Actually, this is a cake we made last weekend so....there's none left but it was darn tasty! It's a chocolate blackout cake, the recipe is from Cook's Country. It is a homemade chocolate layer cake with scratch pudding filling and frosting and cake crumbles on the outside.

Carrot Soup
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
* 2 garlic cloves, pressed
* 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chunked
* 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chunked
* 5 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
* 1/2 cup orange juice
* 3 tablespoons peanut butter
* toasted pumpkin seeds (optional) or chopped cilantro, garnish (optional)

1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Saute onions with ginger, cumin, and cayenne until onions are soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic when you think there is about 45 secs to 1 minute left to achieve the soft onions [Do not let the garlic burn].
3. Add salt, carrots, potatoes, and broth and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
5. Add the peanut butter.
6. Puree the soup. This is most easily done with a hand-blender right in the pot.
7. Stir in orange juice.
8. Ladle in bowls and garnish if desired.
9. This soup freezes very well in tupperware. I'm sure it will freeze well for many months, however I don't know for sure because mine has never stayed frozen for longer than a month due to being eaten!


  1. both look delicious! I never heard of a soup swap before; what a clever idea!


  2. Soup Swap? That sounds so fun. How does it work? I would love to get a group of people together to do that, but how do you run it?

  3. Jenna~ ~ ~
    Your soup looks like a summer day, just what I need right now. I am going to make it this week.

    Thanks for joining the soup swap. If anyone wants to make soup and join I have decided to extend the swap till this Friday January 30. Hopefully we will get others to share their favorite soup recipes.
    Come on over and see what's going on.

  4. WOW!! That cake looks DIVINE!!! and i really like the recipe for the carrot soup - i just may have to try it!

    thanks for sharing!
    pmking11 (via swapbot)

  5. just found this recipe thanks to BlogHer! I have a tri colored Corgi, named Bailey!!!