Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Book Cover Postcards


Old Reader's Digest Compilations have some wonderful, subdued colors and lovely wallpaper-looking patterns. I used some to create some postcards and thought I'd share it since it's so simple.

Remove the book's cover at the spine with an exact-o knife.

I created a simple document with corner decorations and a line down the center. Use images of old postcard backs for inspiration. Print these out and cut them to fit the book covers.
*UPDATE*
Here it is, the .png fle of the back for your use in creating postcards. It's pretty simple but I hope you enjoy! (Don't forget to click on the image for a larger version.)

A great place to find some lovely, vintage-looking goodies to add to your back is Briar Press, which I found via Design Freebies.

Adhere your printed backs to the inside surface of the cover with gluestick or scrapbook adhesive.

I didn't mind the raw edge (it gives it a bit of a vintage book shop/estate sale feel) but if you'd rather have a finished look, glue a length of coordinating ribbon along the edge.

Grab a cup of tea and you're ready for a little sit and sip. Write a little note to a friend, the perfect evening activity this winter!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, those are beautiful! I'd never have thought of that! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, I love it! I know exactly what books you're talking about. I have some in my craft room right now because the flaps were so beautiful. Thanks for the fun idea, I'll be linking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! thanks for stopping by my blog today =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very creative :) Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog through Tip Junkie. Love it! Love the Obama cherries! Gonna subscribe now!

    ReplyDelete