Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Some requests

In a comment, Mary Ellen requested pictures of my works in progress. Well, I'll admit I don't like to post WIP pics because they look so....unfinished. :) But here are the fair projects I've got in various stages of completeness.

This is a snowflake dishcloth from this pattern. Although, as this knitter found out as well, the pattern has a boo-boo and mine has an ugly ring of purl stitches in the middle. I think this one will remain at home and not go to the fair since it is not perfect.

A yo-yo quilt table runner. You can see the space in the middle, I have connected the yo-yos to the right of the space, I still have the ones on the left to go. My goal is two rows each day to get it done with time to spare.

This is an outfit for my Jenny doll. She will also get a pair of brown felt mary janes and a head kerchief in matching fall colors. I would show you this on the doll but only the shirt is 100% done, the jumper needs snaps hand sewn on.

This is the picture I cringe at showing because doilies look like terrible blobs of string until you starch and block them. But you can see above the mess a picture of what it will look like when finished. I am on row 13 and it is 20 rows. It is very pretty and quite different, I think, from many doilies which usually have the same motifs, pineapples or picots and such. This one is called Oriental Fantasy and it is done in size 30 thread. I think I said that before. I have in the past used size 10 so this is a challenge for me.

Also in a comment, Kitten with a Whiplash requested the Sweet and Sour Faux Meatballs recipe. Tragedy that I ate the last of them and didn't take a picture! But luckily there is a picture on the recipe's page here. I make some small adjustments though. I usually use grape jelly instead of apricot jam because that's what I have on hand. And I vary the nuts depending on what I have on hand too, I have used ground almonds, chopped walnuts, pecans, what ever's handy. I use less eggs (3) and add a little water if it seems like it needs it because 5 eggs is almost 1/2 a carton and I am frugal! This time around, I had panko breadcrumbs instead of seasoned ones so that's what went in. These are so remarkabley meaty thanks to the nuts and cheese! I make them for holiday parties and everyone eats them and there's no "Oh, these are good for vegetarian meatballs", they're just plain good!

And as a bonus, here is one of my favorite hot summer day dessert recipes! Crock pot dessert doesn't heat up the kitchen, gotta love that!

Hot Fudge Cake
1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1-3/4 cups boiling water

In a bowl, combine 1 cup brown sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Spread evenly into a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
In a bowl, combine the remaining brown sugar and cocoa; stir in boiling water. Pour over batter (do not stir). Cover and cook on high for 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream. Yum!


  1. This looks like a great chocolate recipe. I hope my crock pot isn't too large for it, but I'm definitely going to try it! Thanks for posting it. Warmly, Cathy ^..^

  2. Your WIP look great!

    A couple Christmases ago I crocheted everyone in my family snowflakes. I was new to crocheting with thread and for a while, was concerned they would always look like piles of string!

  3. Was just searching for pictures and found your blog. You referenced a picture of mine. I didn't like that ring of purl stitches in the middle and actually did unseam it and rip it back that far, to fix it. I didn't like that effect, either. Otherwise, I like knitting this cloth.