Monday, November 26, 2007

Productive Post-Thanksgiving

I hope all of you had a lovely weekend after all the Thanksgiving hub-bub. Mine was nice and productive! I got several swaps done and ready to send out EARLY! And I finished two quilts for Project Linus! I packaged up some My Little Ponies to mail off to lovely people who want to add them to their collection. I am downsizing in an effort to raise money.

Why am I raising money and finishing up swaps early? We are looking at a house to buy! It would be our very first house! (we rent the one we live in now) So we are practicing being frugal this month (I know, what a month to pick, right?). I got all my swaps that were due ready to go and I have put a moratorium on new swaps. I will also be ebaying several Breyers/model horse stuff/My Little Ponies to raise a little extra cash.

So, tell you about the house you say? It's in a lovely area, just a block or two away from where we are now. It's got three bedrooms, two baths, some lovely new things like a roof and furnace and windows. But it needs a bit of TLC in the looks department, like trim around the windows and paint in every room. We can do that but it takes money, as if buying a house isn't expensive enough. So we'll see if it is doable once we get an estimate for some of the larger items that need repairing (like the ceilings that have goops of adhesive from ugly tiles that were taken down and some finish work to the walls). It's all very exciting and even if this isn't the house for us, we will be buying one fairly soon (within the next 6 months) and I am confidant we are adult enough and make enough money now to go for it! Any house buying advice is very much welcome!

4 comments:

  1. Never been a homeowner myself, but I just wanted to congratulate you and wish you luck - it takes discipline to cut back on things and be frugal to meet your goals, but it's awesome ya'll are working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek, good luck! We bought our house last Fall and it was very scary. :-) And takes more money than you can imagine for those things that just come up. Not to scare you though, we love owning our house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats at being at the house-buying stage! That's so wonderful. Scary, but there's nothing quite like owning your very own little piece of the planet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenna, Just wanted to let you know I receive my PIF package yesterday! Thanks, the recipe cards are especially cute (and useful). I've posted PIF again on my blog, since no one wanted me before. :(

    ReplyDelete