Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Review-Dogswell Vitality Jerky Bars Chicken & Veggies Dog Treats


This month, Chewy.com kindly provided us with a package of Dogswell Vitality Jerky Bars Chicken & Veggies Dog Treats to test out and review.  I liked that the ingredients list was short and included things that sounded wholesome and would not cause Dot any allergy issues (no grains, no fish).

Ingredients:
Chicken, Tomatoes, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Cane Molasses, Peas, Carrots, Spinach, Apples, Salt, Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Zinc Propionate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate

When I opened the package, my first impression was that they smelled a bit burnt or smoky.   The bars are roughly 1 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches, which is larger then I like to give our dogs so I chopped a few up into 6 sections each using a kitchen knife.  The bars were a little dry in places and had a bit of snap to them, like a dehydrated treat. The texture was inconsistent, some spots were pliable, others were hard.  Maybe this is due to the veggie chunks and the meat cooking differently within the same bar.
I used these treats for a few training sessions with each dog.  They liked them well enough.  They were not as crazy about them as a moist treat such as Happy Howie or a piece of cooked chicken breast but they were more excited about them than kibble.  They were a little crumbly in my pocket, veggie bits and crumbs broke off but this is mostly my fault for breaking them up.  Left as a whole bar, they are not crumbly or messy at all.  But that would be a pretty big jackpot!

After a couple of days, Taco had terrible gas and both dogs were belching more than usual.  For dogs their size, the package suggested feeding 2-5 bars per day and I certainly wasn't going over 4 bars per dog.  I'm not sure if it was the cooking process (which left them slightly burnt) or a specific ingredient the produced the gas.

I wanted to like these treats.  I liked that they didn't have any fillers or artificial ingredients, no glycerin or soybean meal or corn flour or wheat middlings.  But something about them didn't agree with either dog.

Disclosure: Chewy.com provided me with one package of treats to review.  I was not compensated in any other way and the opinions are all mine and the dogs'.  :)

2 comments:

  1. That's a bummer that something didn't agree with your pups. Maybe it was a bad batch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear - we got the chicken and so far so good!

    ReplyDelete