Thursday, November 6, 2014

Litterbox Solution for Dog and Cat Households

So, we not only have two dogs, but we also have a cat.  Stewart is an awesome cat, here is a picture of him being completely enthralled and outraged at the new water fountain I got for the animals.
But those who have cats AND dogs know the inevitable dog in the catbox problem.  Our catbox at our old house was in the basement where no dogs were allowed.  But our basement in this house has a store that is always shut.  Our prvious cat would use a covered catbox so we just put it in the laundry room but Stewart is a little more picky about his toilet habits and wouldn't go in the covered box.  So what was my solution?
I created a dog-proof cat bathroom.  In our laundry room, we have cabinets which have a countertop on top.  When we first looked at the house, I thought this area would make an awesome desk area, for sketching up garden plans and making phone calls.  But no, it was instead to become our cat's bathroom.  Two tension rods hold up a panel of welded wire fencing.  The door opening is just big enough for a cat to enter and exit.  The tape around all four edges was a later addition after Stewart got a long cut on his neck from getting caught on a sharp edge.

Now, I imagine you could probably make this a more solid panel if you didn't want to look at cat poop everyday.  But I wanted it to have good ventilation and Stewart, as I said, is picky and likes to be able to see out while he does his business.  You could also use something a little more classy than pipe cleaners to hold your fence to the tension rods but that's what I used to test it out years ago and I never got around to making it more appealing.

Ruckus the American Eskimo Dog Blog
Ruckus the American Eskimo Dog Blog - See more at: http://www.ruckustheeskie.com/2014/11/thoughtless-thursday-42-winter-warmers.html#sthash.OXZBQ26n.dpuf

7 comments:

  1. That is a perfect solution to your problem. I agree with the ventilation. Stewart isn't picky...just classy! MOL! Thanks for hopping along on Thoughtless Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! You are totally right, Stewart is super classy!

      Delete
  2. Now THAT is clever!!!
    Thanks for sharing on our Thoughtless Thursday hop!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading along! (My name is Jenna too!)

      Delete
  3. Dogs in the cat box. UGH. I have a covered box that is jammed between the toilet and vanity facing the wall. The cat can go behind the toilet to get there but the dogs can't.

    BTW, thanks to the dogs' disgusting cat poop vice I can no longer eat Almond Roca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeew, do not ruin Almond Roca for me! A friend made a kitty litter box cake in a real (clean) catbox pan for halloween once. And I just saw cupcakes that were kittylitter themed and I didn't get it at first because they were made to look like the crystal kind of litter, not the standard gray clay kind!

      Delete
  4. Smart way for cohabitance between canine and feline! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete