Thursday, June 26, 2014

Breed Specific Terminology

This picture has nothing to do with this post, but who likes posts without pictures?  This is Dot earlier this month, taking first in a Rally class.)
Does your breed have terminology all it's own?  I'm kind of obsessed with the strange code that different breed aficionados have for behaviors, colors and characteristics they find unique to their breed.  Being a Corgi person, we'll start with a Corgi term

Frap - This is a common word in the world of Corgis and also Scotties, frapping is when a dog races around excitedly, spinning and turning circles and figure eights at top speed for no reason at all.  This activity is also called hucklebutting in Bull Terriers.  Here's a blog post I wrote about it!

Trancing- A really strange activity performed by Bull Terriers and sighthounds, the dog rubs it's body against low-hanging tree limbs, blankets or curtains and starts moving in slow motion.  More info here

Twizzle- The twizzle is the bit at the end of a Lab's tail that should be twisted together to form a tight spike.

Fluffies- Another Corgi term, this describes a coat of extreme length with exaggerated feathering on ears, chest, legs and feet, underparts and hindquarters.  This is also in Rottweiler term!

Blenheim- This is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel term for red and white coloring.

Landseer- The Newfoundland term for black and white.

Harlequin- The Great Dane term for white with black patches.

So, does your breed have a weird term for something they do, a color pattern or a certain physical trait?
I linked up to Ruckus' Thoughtless Thursday because this post has been a draft for YEARS because I wanted to find more examples, but decided "What the heck, this list will never be as long as I want so I'll just post it now!"
Ruckus the American Eskimo Dog Blog

10 comments:

  1. That was interesting. Thanks for sharing. Until I got Shelties I had never heard of the terms Merle and Sable which are color combos for Shelties and Collies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! When I got into dogs, those terms were familiar to me from showing rabbits but I bet the everyday person would not be able to tell you what those were.

      Delete
  2. I knew about the Harlequin definition because I fostered a harlequin Great Dane before. But I didn't know about the other terms. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Harlequin seems to be the most well known on the list. I remember when I first heard it, I was on a school bus and it sounded like the most exotic thing ever!

      Delete
  3. Hmm, interesting! I have never heard any of those before so thanks for sharing!
    Thank you for linking up to Thoughtless Thursday as welL!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Love learning knew things!

      Delete
  4. This is an interesting list. Momma and I knew what a Harlequin was in the great dane world...in the poodle world it's a variation of Parti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's another good one! Say Parti Poodle to the layman and they will think it's a poodle with a margarita!

      Delete
  5. Twizzle! I had no idea but now I'm going to be obsessed with that term. I jhad no idea what any of these meant. Trancing - how did I not know about it?

    ReplyDelete