Wednesday, February 12, 2014

WinsDay #9 Drill Team

 
Obedience Drill Team is something many states offer at their State 4-H Dog Show. Illinois does not so I have never been involved with it, let alone coached a team. But this year, after several years wondering if our Dog Training Club could get a team together, I finally bit the bullet and started one! Our team has 5 people in it, a rather small group, but hopefully it will grow as people become familiar with what we do.

What do we do? We do synchronized obedience routines set to music. Sort of like marching band with dogs! Due to the weather, we have only had a few practices so I won't show you a video of us just yet. I choreographed the routine to Sousa's Invincible Eagle march. Instead of our semi-rehearsed routine, for now here is a video of an awesome team performing at Crufts!
Here's a fun one that is more along the lines of what I hope our team will be like:
And here's a 4-H team: Join us for WinsDay and show off your dog showing/trialing/training pictures and stories.  Show off your ribbons, tell us about your latest training triumph or ask a burning dog show question you're dying to hear others' opinions on.

WinsDay is not just the place to show off ribbons.  Maybe you learned something new about a breed or dog sport that you'd like to share or maybe you have a doggy giveaway going on at your blog and would like to give us all a chance to win!  Maybe your dog earned its CGC or you started working on a new level of obedience or agility.  Maybe you mastered doorway manners or housebroke your new puppy.  These are all wins, celebrate them with us!

CorgiPants



7 comments:

  1. That is so cool! :D I love the idea of a team sport that involves Obedience. I'm going to have to look into this and see if it's offered in my state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it has been super fun! If you have a dog training club nearby, you should ask around if anyone is interested.

      Delete
  2. I've seen these drills before and didn't know what they were called. And I've always seen them with golden retrievers (I suspect people like the way their floofies wave in time with the music, like in the Crufts video).

    I loved seeing the mixed breeds in the other two videos. And especially the energy of the 4H group.

    I wish I could get to a group doing this in my area. It seems like a perfect dog sport for an extrovert. :)

    Good luck with your group. I can't wait to see how you do with it.

    BTW, have you seen this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qwBfBugo_A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I think it's a superb activity for outgoing dog/handler teams! OMG, that video is so awesome, thanks for the link!

      Delete
  3. Our team's videos are 5 and 7 in the playlist! We've worked very hard over the past couple years to perfect our routines to take to state. Our teams consist of 9-12 teenagers and their dogs, many of which are rescues. You can see some of our other videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWuF89d6JW8 and http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpgtUHuI2ZHD7Y01cpCAR2Q I wish I had seen this post before and had linked up to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I'm so glad you commented! Your team has some of the MOST unique routines I've seen yet! It's funny, the holiday routine you link to is on my OTHER drill team playlist! http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0J97DhXbdBUMNwm5ZofTPHBC_SbVC_TI&feature=mh_lolz
      So impressive, thanks for commenting, I'll be following you and Dobby on your blog to see what you come up with this year!

      Delete
  4. Love your blog! I'm a new GFC follower:-) PS I'm hosting another giveaway http://domesticsweetheart.blogspot.com/2014/02/minky-chic-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete