Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I'm sporty!

Can you believe Dot is my very first Sporting Breed dog ever?  I went almost 32 years without owning a Golden Retriever.  Or a Lab or a Spaniel or a Pointer or a Setter.  I (or my family) have had dogs from every other group. 
We had, at separate times, a Bichon Frise and a Dalmation (Non-Sporting group). 
I have, of course, had Corgis and my very first dog was a Shetland Sheepdog .  As well as several German Shepherd mixes and an Australian Cattle Dog (Herding group).
I had a Jack Russel Terrier in 4-H (Terrier group).
My family owned a wonderful Doberman named Chelsea (Working group).
My very first competition Obedience dog was a Rat Terrier (Miscellaneous group)
My dad was rather fond of Beagles (Hound group).
My mom has owned/fostered several Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes (toy group).
But somehow we managed to completely avoid two breeds that have remained in the top 5 AKC registered breeds for years (labs and goldens).  Last night at our dog training club meeting I was told that I now have an instant athlete and believe it!  She is super speedy and moves non-stop with no input from me, just for the shear joy of moving and running and being free.  Does this mean I have to learn about agility?

1 comment: