Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mini-Tri

If you follow me on Facebook then you already know that this weekend I completed my very first sprint triathlon!  It was VERY sprint-y in that all three segments were very short, not in that I was super speedy.  It was a 400 meter swim, 6 mile bike and 2 mile run. 

Swim
I just learned to swim in 2007 and actually haven't been to the pool much since then so the triathlon got me to the pool this summer!  I was super nervous waiting in line for the swim but I had been practicing at morning lap swim and knew I could complete it.  I am a long way from being a competent swimmer and a lot of people passed me but I was happy to be making it from one side of the pool and back each lap.

Bike
My new bike is awesome and I want to ride it ALL THE TIME!  Ok, maybe not when it's over 100 degrees or when I have 80 pounds of books to carry.  But I do really love my new bike and it made the 6 mile bike portion fly by.

Run
Peg, a fantastic personal trainer and instructor at the gym we go to, was there and gave me some sage advice-take your run nice and easy to begin with since your legs will be in pedal mode.  Great advice and I found myself easily hitting my usual pace after a little warm-up time.  (Peg places 18th overall and 1st in her age group, she is Superwoman!)

Overall
My time was 1 hour 5 minutes and 15 seconds.  Which is WAY shorter than my under 1.5 hour goal.  I had alotted 25 minutes for the swim, 25 for the bike and 25 for the run and having never done all three back to back, I figured I would probably start to drag.  But I was ready to bike and dry off after the swim and my legs felt pretty fresh for the run so I was really proud!  Really, I was just proud to have been brave enough to sign up and complete it at all!

3 comments:

  1. Impressive! Congrats on your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great time!! Congrats on your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete