Friday, July 6, 2012

Summer Trip Prep

Our vacation this summer was to the North East, including excursions to Boston, Maine and Rhode Island, then up through Canada to Niagara Falls and back home. I'll be blogging each day of our trip, including our activities, eats and workouts but first I'm going to tell you about my pre-trip planning. Who can go on a roadtrip without snacks?  But when you leave it up to whatever is available at the gas station, you are asking for trouble.  So I planned ahead for this trip.  And not just the car portions.  Since we were going to be living in an apartment for the week, I planned ahead for breakfasts and dinners so that I was assured of at least 2 relatively healthy meals each day.
I LOVE snack mix in the car.  But they never seem to have what I want in them, and they almost always have stuff I DON'T want in them (oil, lots of fat, crackers, sugar-added dried fruit).  So I made my own versions for this trip, a sweet one and a savory one.  Here are what I put in:

Sweet mix:
PB Roast Chickpeas made using this recipe
unfrosted mini wheat cereal
Kashi 7 grain puffs cereal
raw almonds
raisins
dried cranberries
raw sunflower seeds
raw pepitas
a handful of peanuts, chocolate covered raisins, chocolate covered peanuts and m&ms (just enough to get 1 sweet thing in just about every handful)

Savory mix
air-popped popcorn sprinkled with nutritional yeast and garlic powder
PB Roast Chickpeas made using this recipe
 unfrosted mini wheat cereal
raw almonds
raw sunflower seeds
raw pepitas
a handful of peanuts
 
Trip prep consisted of a lot of fruit and veggie washing and cutting. Here are the fruits! Apples, bananas, red grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon and strawberries. (I also took some kiwis, oranges and a couple of peaches and plums.)
And the veggies! Carrots, celery, romaine lettuce, cucumber slices, broccoli, cauliflower, and green peppers.
Here are my dry goods for the trip: cans of beans, quick and old fashioned oats (in the bags in front), ground flax seed, sesame seeds and chia seeds.
And what would a road trip be without a few splurges? Dried fruit, sourdough pretzels, some larabars, and Mike's pick-Bugles. And my box of Good 'n Plenty didn't make it into this picture.

All the perishables were packed up in a big cooler with ice for the 16 hour drive to Massachusetts. In the next few days, you'll see pictures of how I put all of this to use for my meals each day. My stockpile lasted the entire trip and before we left Massachusetts for Canada on Friday I had to leave some of it with our neighbors because I was worried it wouldn't have lasted the drive, I was worried about crossing the border with produce and our hotel room in Canada didn't have a fridge. I brought too many kiwis, carrots, apples, green peppers and mangoes and 2 potatoes that I never got around to eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment