Thursday, June 21, 2012

Week 1 recipe


This recipe is my submission for Run with Jess's Marathon Weight Loss challenge!  I am doing the Half-Marathon challenge, so I'll be attempting to lose 13.1 pounds, totally do-able.  My plan of attack is to stick with plant-based eating plan, but NO snacking after dinner (my HUGE downfall). 
This pale and rather unappetizing-looking dip is actually REALLY tasty!  It's my take on Dr. Fuhrman's Tuscan White Bean Spread, which is from his book Eat to Live.  I don't add pinenuts or sun-dried tomatoes because I never have them on hand.  I eat a LOT of beans/lentils, like at least once a day, if not twice.  This is a great summer bean dish because it's cold and refreshing instead of hot and comforting like so many bean dishes (stews, chili, dal, etc.).  Serve with cucumber rounds, carrot and celery sticks or pita triangles.

Jenna Z's Rosemary Bean Spread

1½ cups cooked great northern or pinto beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ tablespoons salt-free seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's)
2 tablespoon golden balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh, chopped rosemary
2-3 tablespoons of water to thin

1. Place all ingredients in a high powered blender or a food processor.
2. Process until smooth and creamy, adding water as needed.
3. Chill for one hour before serving.


I called it 4 servings but those are BIG servings. Stats are just the spread, no veggies or pita included.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 238 Calories from Fat 8

Total Fat
0.9g
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
Sodium
10mg
Total Carbohydrates
43.9g
Dietary Fiber
14.2g
Sugars
1.6g
Protein
15.1g

Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 8%
Calcium 13% Iron 22%

2 comments:

  1. yum...you should try my zucchini spaghetti too...SO yummy!

    xoxo from Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanna,

    You won!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/2012/06/blueberry-pie-summer-oats.html

    ReplyDelete