Tuesday, April 3, 2012

2012 Garden

It's really spring! I'm most excited to see my rhubarb coming up. This is the third home for this rhubarb, the other two spots just didn't suit it so I hope it likes this one!
Of course it's nice to see some flowers shooting up, like the hyacinth and tulips.Soon we'll be seeing big alliums blooming in the courtyard.
And my little dish garden is greening up. This bowl sits on the brick patio in the courtyard on a side table and I have plans this year to make it more scenic with some miniatures, maybe a frog statuette and some pebbles. A little mini garden in my garden.

Here's 2012's garden plan so far. I rotate each of the four quadrants every year so this year the tomatoes are where the squash and eggplants were last year, etc.

What have I planted so far, in the neat rows shown above:
Most of the NW corner-Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Carrots, Turnips, Radishes and Peas. Just before it rained so I didn't even have to water them in! Oh, and I sprinkled some green onion seeds in the herb garden because my green onion patch was starting to look a little...ratty. You know, when your green onions have been there too many seasons and they've got all those dry outer leaves? Time for new onions!

Ubiquitous seed starting shots:
What I've started indoors:

Seeds started so far:
Pepper-Las Cruces
Pepper-Green Bell
Pepper-Grand Bell
Pepper-Santa Fe

Eggplant-Little Fingers

Tomato-Chocolate Cherry
Tomato-Big Rainbow


Brussels Sprouts

And now for a story of resilience and tasty greens. This kale has fed me all winter! I'd go out and crunch off some stiff, frosty leaves and then when the day got warmer it would put out new ones! Yes, it looks a little sad, but it's been steadily producing leaves throughout our mild winter, and now it's coming on strong again, I just can't bring myself to rip it out until I need the space for squash later this spring.


  1. Your corgi is darling in the header! And you are certainly off to a great start in your garden, and all those seedlings--very well done!

  2. This is such a great time of the year!

  3. Sounds and looks like you are off to a great start - good garden plan - and spring plants blooming to inspire you!

  4. My kale overwintered from last year, too. We had a very mild winter in the mid-Atlantic.

    I always try to plant seeds and plants before it rains, too. Unfortunately, we're having a bit of a dry spring. Here's hoping that the rest of the gardening season goes better!

  5. I love your garden planner - is that a program you use for that? I still do mine the old-fashioned way with a pencil and graph paper. :-) Thanks for sharing at the TGP!