Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Eat to Live

Run to the Finish did a Vegan Challenge in March but I had already planned to do one in April so I decided it would be great to read up on the posts of everyone who tested the vegan waters in March and I'd have some new recipes and skills already in my pocket. April will be an experiment in Dr. Fuhrman's Eating to Live. Vegan with a large focus on nutrient density. Lots of raw and cooked vegetables, especially green ones, fruits, mushrooms, and (my favorite!) beans along with smaller amounts of whole grains, nuts and seeds.

I read the book Eat to Live and when I renewed our PBS membership this year, I requested the 3 Steps to Incredible Health Combo as my gift so I'll be getting a 3 month subscription to his website. I can't WAIT to access all those newsletter archives and recipes! I'm not particularly interested in loosing any more weight, maybe 10 pounds at the most. I mainly would like to lean up a bit in the middle, avoid heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes, and arthritis. I love that his plan is written in such a flexible manner, he understands that you will have a treat every now and then, or that you might want to have an egg at breakfast or an ice cream cone when you go on vacation. I will not be calling myself vegan as I don't want to offend those who make it their life to completely abstain from all animal products. I still knit with wool, I still use honey, I still use beeswax lipbalm. I'm a vegetarian doing a vegan experiment and if I decide to adopt Eat to Live for a while, I'll still be a vegetarian, just one that eats VERY little eggs and dairy.

The last couple of weeks I have been transitioning so that it's not such a shock (and mainly to use up the eggs and dairy I had in the house). I have been eating 1 serving of dairy or eggs a day and really don't foresee any issue with giving that up on Sunday. I'll be making my own almond milk to use in smoothies and having fun coming up with new salad dressings. Today's was frozen apples, blackberries, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice blended smooth, fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment