Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Protein Powder Review #7 BSN

BSN Lean Dessert-This is another more mainstream powder with some ingredients I'm not particularly happy about. It's got Sucralose AND Corn Syrup. Why both? Apparently to make it taste AMAZING, just like SEI Max! It's got quite a complex blend of protein: Whey Protein Concentrate, Micellar Casein, Whey Protein Isolate, Egg Albumen, Calcium Caseinate, Milk Protein Concentrate], and Glutamine Peptides so if you're interested in a tasty bedtime snack, it would make a great, slow-burning solution, though a little higher in carbs than just a plain casein powder. It's a little on the expensive side as well, but most say they are willing to pay that for the excellent flavors.

Calories per scoop: 150
Protein per scoop: 21g
Carbs per scoop: 8g

Whipped Vanilla Cream-My first attempt with this was in a shake made with ice, water, and a little SF caramel syrup. And it turned out terrible, too much ice and it separated into a thin vanilla liquid and something like snowcone ice. Completely my fault but it turned me off of wanting to drink this. So I ate it instead. And lat me tell you, this powder has just the right vanilla flavor and sweetness level to make some a-MAZE-ing protein cookie dough! I used 1 scoop powder, 1/2 cup quick cook oats, 1 Tbsp crunchy natural peanut butter and a TBSP or so of dark chocolate chips. And that stuff was AWESOME! I rolled it into a log so I could eat it on the go and it was like eating PB Oatmeal cookie dough straight from the mixing bowl.

Then I made it into a successful Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie which consisted of 1 scoop powder, 4 frozen banana slices, 3 strawberries, 2 drops Capella NY Cheesecake flavor, 1/4 cup cottage cheese and some water. It was absolutely fantastic, so fluffy and rich!

Chocolate Coconut Candy Bar-This is MUCH more coconutty than I thought it would be! Which is nice, if you like coconut, which I do. I've used it in shakes and of course, it's fantastic. But I've also made it into protein cookie dough and homemade protein bars and it's equally tasty!

$33.49 for 18 servings=$1.86 per serving or 9 center for gram of protein

Overall Rating: Mix (7 out of 10) As great as this stuff tastes, I just don't like that it has such a long list of ingredients and includes corn syrup AND sucralose in it. And it's sort of high in carbs for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment