Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Protein Powder Review #2-Gotein

This year, I've started a series of Protein Powder and Protein Bar reviews. These are in no order, just whatever I pick to write about. Protein powder/bar choice is SUCH a matter of personal taste. But I LOVE reading other people's reviews of them, and they give me great ideas for new flavors and brands to try. So I wanted to put my thoughts out there! (Nutritionals are for the first flavor listed, they might differ slightly for the various flavors of each brand but are generally about the same across the product line.)

Gotein-Packaged in a skinny packet to make pouring into a water bottle easier, this protein is gag-worthy. It's got a long list of ingredients that includes corn syrup, sunflower oil, sucralose, a low-quality protein blend and a ton of vitamins and minerals I'd rather not have in my shake. I would NEVER buy this product.

Calories per heaping Packet:100
Protein per heaping Packet: 17g
Carbs per heaping Packet: 6g

Vanilla-This was also WAY sweet. Mixed with water, it was drinkable but I had to add more water than I like to knock down the syrupy sweetness, which made it disgustingly watered down.
Strawberry-I was not excited about this flavor and oh man, this was terrible. WAY too sweet. I mixed it with water and had to keep adding until I had added enough to water it down so much that I then had to chug about 30 ounces of faintly strawberry protein water. I HATE it when a shake just keeps GOING on and on, I like to take a few tasty, creamy swigs and be done.

$24.95 for 12 servings=$2.08 per serving or around 12 cents per gram of protein

Overall Rating: Grind (3 out of 10) This stuff is kind of nasty, and way overpriced. It's supposed to be convenient since it's packaged in individual packets that mix easily into a water bottle but it's not convenient if you don't want to drink it. I would not buy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment