Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Protein Powder Review #1-Designer Whey

This year, I want to start a series of Protein Powder and Protein Bar reviews. This is the first one and I'll say right now that they are in no order, just whatever I pick to write about. Protein powder is SUCH a matter of personal taste. But I LOVE reading other people's reviews of them, and they give me great ideas for new flavors and brands to try. So I wanted to put my thoughts out there! (Nutritionals are for the first flavor listed, they might differ slightly for the various flavors of each brand but are generally about the same across the product line.)

Designer Whey All Natural Whey Protein-One of a handful of Stevia-sweetened powders, Designer Whey's all natural line is pretty good. I am always looking for products without chemical sugar substitutes and this fits in that category, though the ingredient list is a little long for my tastes. It's fairly low-carb and packs a good amount of protein into 100 calories. This one looks a little more granular than most powders in the canister so you might be worried it will be gritty but rest assured, it dissolves smoothly with water or milk.

Calories per scoop:100
Protein per scoop: 18g
Carbs per scoop: 3g

Vanilla Almond-I love almond anything so I was drawn to this brand specifically for this flavor. And it doesn't let me down. It tastes quite a bit like almond/cherry with a hint of vanilla, but it's VERY sweet so I usually dilute it quite a bit or use it in recipes like no-bake cookies. (It's great as a protein shake mixed with plain yogurt and a bit of water to thin it out, a tangy almond shake!

$20.89 for 13 servings=$1.61 per serving or around 9 cents per gram of protein (This is the price from the manufacturer but this can be purchased for about 1/2 that price from places like Vitamin World.)

Overall Rating: Blend (8 out of 10) for it's great taste and the fact that it's so clean, and fairly well priced. I'd buy this again! Wish they had more flavors in the natural line.


  1. Indeed a very information-pack post! Nice job.

  2. Interesting! I really appreciate these reviews and look forward to more. I have difficulty with so many protein powders...not sure what the problem is.

    I'm a new follower! Thanks for stopping by to see me.