Friday, July 29, 2011

Making Greek yogurt!


I eat a LOT of yogurt! On Body for Life Greek yogurt is a protein (15-20 grams protein per serving) while most other non-fat yogurts are considered a carb (5 grams protein per serving). But Greek yogurt is PRICEY! So I made my own and plan to do so again and again! There are lots of recipes online and they all basically consist of the same things:

Mix your milk with any other ingredients you're using (like dry milk powder)
Heat it to about 180 F
Let it cool down to about 110 F
Mix in yogurt starter (yogurt culture or just plain yogurt from the store)
Keep it warm

I heated my milk in a glass bowl in the microwave. I didn't have to stand over a hot stove and make sure it didn't burn and using my instant-read thermometer I knew exactly when it was done!

While the milk was cooling (which took about 1/2 an hour) I turned on my crockpot (on low) and once it was heated, I turned it off with the lid on and my instant-read thermometer inside. When it was the right temperature I put my milk in and wrapped it in a blanket a la Year of Slow Cooking. With the instant-read thermometer inside, I could tell when it started to dip below 110 degrees, I'd turn the crockpot on for a few minutes and then turn it back off.

I incubated mine for 6 hours, strained it through coffee filters and made 7 containers of Greek-style yogurt from a 1/2 gallon of milk and one container of yogurt. Want to know the cost break down?

I usually pay around $1 per 5.3-ounce container of Greek yogurt (around 19 cents/ounce). Sometimes on sale and with a coupon I can get it for 50 cents but not very often.

I paid $2.19 for a half gallon of skim milk, 75 cents for the 1/5 cups of dry milk powder and $1 for my starter yogurt. Total: $3.94 for 34 ounces or around 12 cents/ounce of homemade yogurt.

What makes it an even better deal is that I no longer have to buy a starter yogurt so my next batch will only cost $2.94 which is less than 9 cents per ounce!

2 comments:

  1. That's brilliant. I eat Greek yogurt (fage or chobani) every day for the protein. Here it's more like $1.50 or $1.75 per container. It would be excellent to have a way to do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. I used to love yogurt made by farmers, when I was a kid..I'm not really a fan of store-bought yogurt, so I guess I should try to make my own :)

    ReplyDelete