Wednesday, June 29, 2011

June vegetable garden

As I said in a previous post, I've been spending a lot of time out in the garden! Unlike some years, this year I've been keeping up with successive plantings. I replanted spinach and as long as it stays cool for a few more weeks I should get another harvest in! I planted another round of peas, transplanted some more broccoli and cauliflower, and soon I'll plant the warm-weather lettuces. Here's the kale and lettuce bed now:The soybeans and ornamental pumpkins. (These have sprouted since then.)
Tomatoes, peppers and the lone tolatillo that is HUGE! All of these plants are now really taking off, much bigger than shown here. The first round of peas are on the fence around this bed.
The squash and cucumber bed. There are zuchhini and yellow summer squash, blue hubbard, neck pumpkins and waltham butternut. All my tasty edibles! I don't like to mix my ornamental and edibles in the same bed because I've had them cross pollinate before and make NASTY TASTING squash!
Here's an overview of the whole shebang.
An my poo misfit leftovers. I had so many seedlings left over that I put them in whatever containers I could find that were big enough. So I've got eggplant, tomatoes and peppers in the courtyard, mixed in with flowers. Vegetables can be decorative.

1 comment: