Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spring Garden

This past weekend was kind of chilly here in central IL, but the gardens are taking it in stride. The vegetable garden is shaping up, though the rain this weekend kept me from getting a few tasks done. The shade garden in the courtyard is looking lovely. All the hostas that I divided last fall are filling out. The allium is blooming. The clematis is just starting to bloom, and there a TON of buds on it, it will be a show-stopper this year!
My all-time favorite flower, the irises are blooming. This clump needs divided, but I'll wait until their done blooming so as not to disturb them.
New this spring, the rock border around the herb garden came from my parent's farm. When you live in the country, rocks are SUCH a nuisance and there are always a pile of them that have been picked out of the ground. But when you live in town, it seems rocks are few and far between. And I'll be darned if I'm going to BUY rocks at a garden center!My newest project was a prayer flag banner for the veggie garden! I made the prayer flags and sewed them together into a vertical banner that I tied onto a pole. Here's a better view of the flags.And here's what it looks like fluttering in the garden. You can see the lettuce, spinach, kale and kohlrabi in the SE corner behind it.
I've joined this Prayer Flag Swap and I think I'll string those up and swag them on the fence that the peas grow up!

5 comments:

  1. Everything is looking so great!!

    Come link up your garden posts ever Tuesday at
    http://www.justtryingtosavemoney.com/2011/05/frugal-gardening-pick-your-own-farms.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty iris and allium. Healthy looking garden bed. Love the garden flag you made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your iris! We used to have some when we lived in a different town, I always loved it when they bloomed. Seeing yours brings back lots of good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful irises! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your banner adds just the right touch to your garden.

    ReplyDelete