Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lark Rise


I LOVE period dramas! A Sunday evening with a cup of tea, a cat on my lap and some Masterpiece Classic is my idea of heaven. I watched and loved the Cranford series, Emma, Northanger Abbey, The Diary of Anne Frank, Little Dorrit, and Downton Abbey. I even liked Any Human Heart, which is a bit of a departure for me. (And now I am obsessed with the name Land.) And now I am really enjoying Lark Rise to Candleford, but I'm on the fourth and final season! What shall I do? I tested out Tess of the d'Urbervilles and found it to have TOO MUCH drama for me! I have seen Lark Rise called "syrupy rustic hokum" and that suits me just fine. Cranford was also a marvel of scenery, costumes and fun characters without the worry of deep plots and troubling stories.

To prevent me from having some serious Lark Rise withdrawal, I have these on the Tivo waiting for me (thanks for my wonderful husband)
North and South
Wives and Daughters
The Buccaneers
The Indian Doctor
Land Girls
Perfect Strangers

And coming up on Masterpiece!
Upstairs Downstairs
South Riding

So hopefully I'll have my Sunday nights set for a while!

The Cranford series of books is available via Project Gutenberg so I think I'll take to reading it now and then as well.

I hear there is a recipe book too! I love making dishes that are featured in my favorite books and shows! Like Dorcas Lane's Plum Loaf!

Of course, I also like making crafts like the ones I see in these great shows! In Cnadleford, I kept noticing their wonderful shawls and sontags! I think I'll make this one (it reminds me of one from an episode I watched last night, with really large looping lattice on the edges) and this one (I'll be Emma Timmins, in my garden, wearing my sontag!)

2 comments:

  1. I am getting withdrawal symptoms now Lark Rise has finished for good. Even my other half became addicted and was quite disappointed when they showed the last episode!
    kind regards,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Buccaneers and you are going to really like it....

    ReplyDelete