Friday, January 14, 2011

SNAP Hunger Challenge-Intro


In the coming week (Sunday-Saturday) I will be participating in the SNAP Hunger Challenge. I will be attempting to eat on $4.50 each day, the average amount that a person in Illinois gets in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). This program used to be known as the food stamp program. (We were vacationing during the original September dates so I postponed it to January.) The main rules are:

* Spend no more than $4.50 per day, including beverages.
* Don't use food already on hand unless you deduct the value from your weekly amount. Salt and pepper don't count, but all other seasonings, cooking oils, condiments, snacks and drinks do.
* Don't accept food from family, friends, coworkers and others.
* Try to include fresh produce and healthy protein each day.

I will be posting daily and my posts will be cross-posted on the SNAP Hunger Challenge Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment