Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sad news

Our kitty, Red, had to be put to sleep a few days ago. That night he ate his dinner around 6 and was completely normal. When I got back from dog training around 8:30 I found him lying on the floor, panting and meowing, obviously in pain. I rushed him to the Emergency Vet Clinic where they diagnosed saddle thrombosis, he had thrown a clot that cut off all bloodflow to his back end. His lungs were filling with fluid and his heart sounds were bad, the prognosis was not good so I made the choice to euthanize him. They were wonderful at the emergency clinic and I got to be with him while they did it, on a comfy couch in a special room that as nicely decorated. It was so sudden and unexpected but they said it is fairly common in cats, that he had probably had heart disease for a few years with no symptoms.

11 comments:

  1. Oh no! I am so sorry, Jenna! :( At least he is out of pain :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My thought and prayers are with you. I know how hard that is. He was a beautiful cat, and had probably the best life ever living with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Not Red! He was one of my favorite internet kitties. I'm so sorry Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss! I lost my own cat a few months ago after a long time of his health getting worse and worse. He was 18 when he passed on and my vet's office was incredibly kind as well. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am truly sorry for your loss! I am sure you will cherish all of the moments you had together and your pictures are wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :( Very sorry, Jenna!!! My kitties kinda drive me nuts, but I will feel bad when their time comes. You are so good to your animals. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So so sorry... such a painful decision. The exact same thing happened to one of my 10-month old kittens, Tumba, about 2 years ago. I think about her every day.

    Red was so lucky to have you and you, him. May his sweet memories bring you peace

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your loss. What a beauty Red was. We've been in the same position and it is never easy. My thoughts are with you... Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear this, always hard, especially when it's a surprise. Glad you were able to be with him at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so sad for the bad news but now he feels better and he can have a look to you from the sky
    love Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  11. :( so sorry for your loss, it was a pretty kitty! so cute, anf fat.. chubby bubby kitty cat! aw... this makes me sad. the two of yous seemed quite the pair!

    ReplyDelete