Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Growing sprouts

I love sprouting my own sprouts! Especially in winter, it's fresh veggie food, kind of like gardening even when it's 20 below zero! The other day Oh She Glows asked her readers about seed sprouting and it reminded me that I hadn't started any in quite some time. So I thought I'd document it this time. I have a three-tray sprouter but there are lot of simple instructions online for sprouting in a glass jar. I started two trays, both a general sprouting mix of alfalfa, radish, fenugreek and clover seeds (but two slightly different blends). One day three, the seeds have just started to sprout. You can see their little white roots just poking out. The round white thing is a siphon, it carries the water from one tray to the next so the sprouts get just the rinsing they need.Then on day 5 I was at a friend's house and we were struck with the genius idea that we probably had seeds in our kitchens that we could also sprout! So I added a tray of lentils and flax seeds!And here are the day 5 sprouts looking very rooty.Day 9 and the sprout mix is ready to eat! (I like mine a little more leafy so I'll wait an extra day or so before rinsing them and storing in the fridge.) The lentils and flax are on day 4 and kind of struggling, they don't look terribly good but I have a feeling they will start rootin' up any day now.

And on day 12 they are bursting out of their little silo home! Now it the time to rinse off the brown seed hulls and store them in the fridge in a container with a damp paper towel at the bottom so they don't dry out. YUM! This is what they look like as part of a sprout and avocado sandwich on whole ween na'an!

2 comments:

  1. Now you have me wanting to take this on as yet another project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, Jenna! Yes, we Corgi people do love our sprouts :) xo xo

    ReplyDelete