Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Talkin' about Weight on Wednesday

Start Weight: 215
Current Weight: 176
% lost overall: 18.13%
Sunday was my first run since my failed test run on January 3. I did 3 half-mile stretches with quarter-mile walks in between to assess how my ankle was doing. And it did GREAT! I am heeled! And Tuesday's run was just as great! I am so proud of myself for giving it a full 3 weeks off. I am not even disappointed that I probably could not run 3 straight miles right now. While I was laid up, I spent some time reading John "The Penguin" Bingham's archives and found a really helpful passage in his Running Tips series where he is talking about Chutes and Ladders:

"But, then you hit one of the Chutes. Your mileage cuts back. You miss a workout or two and have to start a few days back. Just remember that the cycle of success is normal. Going backwards is just as important as going forward."

I also reflected upon PastaQueen's post about loose skin. She raises the same issues that I have with the possibility of plastic surgery. (This is all assuming that I win the lottery or get famous like Kate of John and Kate Plus 8 and someone offers to give me a free tummy tuck.) Months of not being able to exercise? Seems like it would be a HUGE setback that directly counteracts the reason you GOT the procedure done! Yes, it's only a few months and as I was just saying earlier that you move back a few steps and start all over again. But for vanity, would I really give up the strength I have now and have to start all over? Just like PastaQueen, I'm not sure. My arms? That's a different story! If someone wanted to give me an arm lift for free, I would take it today! To be able to wear a bathing suit, sleeveless dress or tank top without worrying about my arms, that would be a dream come true!

I used the TrueStretch apparatus at the gym for the first time! It is really quite awesome. I was all alone in the stretching room and decided to give it a go after my run as my back was kind of hinky from the night before. It was delightful and has really nice graphics on the back that tell you exactly where to grab to stretch the muscles you want.


  1. Well all I can say is WHEW ~ that is a MAJOR weight loss and you should be so proud of yourself! TY for stopping my blog for the OWOH!
    Keep up the good work and take care of that ankle!

  2. Wow, what a great weight loss accomplishment. And I never really thought about the whole loose skin issue--that must be really frustrating.

    And glad your ankle is better!

  3. What a fantastic weight loss!!

    That looks like a torture device.

  4. glad to have you back and that you are healed! my tummy is a bit streched out after 4 babies, so we shall see if I can get it flat with exercise>

  5. Great Job on the weight loss and for sticking with it!!! I reviewed a book called Thinking Skinny a while back and the author wore those tight undergarments -like spanks- during her weight loss and said that it really seemed to help her skin tighten up while she lost weight. I was thinking about picking some up - might be worth a try. But I don't think they make them for arms lol :) So glad you were able to get back at it - something that is hard to do after an injury!

    Keep up the good work!!!!
    Dawn (MommyPR)

  6. Gosh you are doing really well! Lovely to get your support on my blog too. Much nicer doing all this with the help of fellow bloggers :o) xx