Monday, December 14, 2009

I can help too!

I am often disappointed that the company I work for doesn't do more charity work, or even support those employees who choose to do so on their own. But this year, Some people in the company have taken it upon themselves to start the process and maybe the company will come along for the ride and find it fun and rewarding! There is a donation box to collect food for the Eastern Illinois Food Bank less than a few feet from my desk, put there by the PR department. And I can't just leave it empty, now can I?

Kelly, of nommynom.com, has challenged all of us online-type people to go without a luxury and to put that money into the food pantry. The luxury that I went without was road snacks during my recent tracking event. Each morning when I got up at some ungodly hour to get there before daylight, I wanted to stop into a gas station and get a hot drink and a sweet something that would make my cold, dark drive a little more enjoyable. And when the day was done, how nice would it be to stop by the small-town watering hole, grab a drink and a munchy snack for the drive home? But I didn't and the money I didn't spend on junk I now donate to the food bank. I happen to know that my food bank can buy $10 worth of food with a $1 donation so I am donating my luxury money in the form of a monetary donation. But I also had to fill up that donation box! So here the items I grabbed from my reserve food storage, built up from sales and such. Yes, some of it is junky but maybe some mom will need the cake mix to make cupcakes to take for snack one day. And maybe the kool-aid will help someone get needed liquids into a sick kid. Everyone deserves some junky splurges every once in a while! Thanks to Kelly for the wonderful inspiration! And for the PR department at work who decided to take matters into their own hands and get our company on track to being more community-minded!

5 comments:

  1. Oh this is wonderful :) Your post absolutely made my night, thank you so much for taking the challenge and doing it with gusto! Have a Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so nice! I usually only donate a can item or two. Where can I buy some top ramen like that? I've never seen that kind before, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ramen is Spicy Tomato flavor from India. My husband ordered a HUGE box from an importer, but we will NEVER eat that much of it! It's good, but I can't eat it every night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea, and so easy to do. Good on ya for posting!

    ReplyDelete