Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Weight Loss Wednesday



I've joined this little meme to get back into updating my fitness progress weekly. (For those just joining my progress, you can visit my last fitness-related post to get the most recent stats.)

Start Weight: 215
Current Weight: 180
% lost overall: 16.28%

Exercise:
I've been running about 2.5 miles 2-3 times each week. I dread the winter when I have to do 2-3 days a week on the treadmill because I LOVE running outside! I tried out a new class at the gym called Team Strength Extreme. We used LESS equipment than we normally do in regular Team Strength class and while I was doing it, it didn't seem so EXTREME. But the next day, I felt it! In my chest and quads and back! I've been logging my minutes into the Presidential Champions website and I'm over halfway to my bronze award! If you are just starting out, I'd encourage you to start with the Active Lifestyle program, which I completed in June.

Food:
I don't follow any particular diet plan or use Slimfast or go to Weight Watchers. I simply eat vegetarian and follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I make healthy choices: at least one fruit and veggie with every meal, low fat dairy, high fiber breads and cereals. And 20% of the time I eat what I want, like yesterday when I ate half (yes, HALF!) of the 10" pizza we got from Monical's along with a breadstick and side salad with full fat dressing! I don't deprive myself of chocolate, candy, cookies, etc. On an average day, I eat my favorite foods in moderation (single servings) and most of the time really enjoy my healthy choices, too. I don't eat after 8 pm. I don't snack at my desk at work. And I don't give myself a free pass to eat anything I want because I will work it off later. That is why this author thinks exercise doesn't work. Exercise DOES work, you just have to use your brain along with your muscles!

This is not to say that I don't occasionally get off track! When that happens, when I've eaten half a pan of apple crisp because it has oats and oats are heart healthy and hello! Fruit is good for you!, I usually log my food for the next couple of days so I can monitor when and where I am going astray. I use SparkPeople to track my food. I religiously entered my food intake for a long time, then when I had learned correct portion sizes and what a healthy meal should consist of I felt comfortable stopping. But it comes in handy to identify trouble areas and it's important not to be afraid to take a step back if you need to.

Goals:
This coming week, my goal is to run three days out of the week. And NOT eat my weight in ice cream at the block party on Saturday!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jenna, I'm getting back to my weight loss too!! Great minds ...

    Shawnee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, such a great post! I like the way you think, it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the exercise! And I like your approach to food. I follow pretty much the same general idea. Nothing is out of limits, just make healthier choices more often.

    Haha, some good goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenna,

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my post :-)

    Wow, you really are going some running like that! I think I might collapse in a big heap if I attempted that lol

    I wish you every success!

    Rose XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm impressed you are running 2.5+ miles/3x week! That's awesome! I need to get back on my dreaded treadmil as well, the summer has just been so busy. Have a great weekend!

    :) T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. I really like your attitude towards food. mind if i copy? :)

    ReplyDelete