Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fair Time!

This post is far overdo, today was the day we picked items up from the fair so it's all over. That is due to another major event this week besides the fair! We had central air (and the new ductwork that it required) installed in our house! No more window AC units! Now our wonderful 50's house has ALL of its original windows back in place and I am loving it! But on to the fair!

I've been enjoying stories about other people's experiences at the fair. Like these wonderful recipes and sketches from Lillian. nd I can't wait to see what Sarah's first State Fair entry experience is like.

We'll start off with the best! My doily, seen here on my lap.First place!The judges really liked my degree of difficulty, they called my pattern and gauge of thread "painful."
This chicken-scratch apron, which you may recognize from the Make-Do Mail, won second place.
This embroidered pillowcase (Mike chose the pattern for it) also got second. You can see in the next picture that the first place embroidered pillowcase also won the Champion ribbon and it was gorgeous so I don't feel bad being runner up to that. It's too bad you can't see it at ALL for all the ribbons!
Also first place is last year's cross stitch Christmas ornament.I make a new one each year (see them here). I almost made some mini knit stockings too! Someone else's won second place, as you can see.
The rest of my projects placed mainly 3rd or 4th. My knit capelet (which I was not super happy with) was 3rd, as well as my fabric headband (no picture but it's from this pattern).
My pink and brown dress (which I found hanging backwards so I won't think anyone really understood how it fit!), vintage fabric apron, and mittens from recycled wool sweaters were all 4th.

Some things didn't make it to the fair this year:
I wanted to use my new Looper Loom (Potholder loom/lap loom/etc.) to make a stuffed animal from a vintage pattern I've had for a while. I picked up two of these looms at a garage sale and then at a completely unrelated garage sale I got a big bag of loops! I had an old pattern for making stuffed toys from the squares that they create so I gave it a go. I didn't have instructions for the potholders so I searched the net and found some fun links! Sadly, I didn't get this done in time so next year, I will take one!
Fun patterns for potholders from Weavezine

Make your own loops

Nifty houndstooth skirt made from potholders

And for those serious about their woven-square creations, Eloomanation has tons of vintage patterns and info.

Failed potholder-I had started a paper-pieced Christmas potholder a while ago and decided to finish it. Well, it didn't go so well, the binding was a fiasco and looked terrible so it didn't make the cut.

Zucchini-I ate then all before I even thought to take them to the fair! Ack! Oh well, they tasted good!


  1. Some very beautiful stuff! I've been looking around your blog, and I must say, I'm really enjoying it! Thanks for stopping by mine.

  2. Wow nice haul. I'm excited for my first adult fair competition experience! I better recheck when I need to take my entry in - should be soon.

    Thanks for inspiring me to enter. It was perfect timing between reading your posts last year (?) and reading 'Knitalong' that made me realize, why not! I hope I get some kind of recognition or else it my be another 2/3 of my life before I try again. ;)

  3. Wow! I have to agree with the judges, the gauge and pattern does look intimidating. That's a beautiful pattern!!

    Congrats on all your wins. You've been busy!

  4. Beautiful entries, Jenna...and what a great haul of wins--hooray! So happy for you... enjoy the sweet taste of your success :o) Happy Days!

  5. Lovely work! Wish I had the brain to do something that intense.:<)
    Congrats on all the awards.

  6. Wow~congratulations on all the ribbons. Such great things you made. You have been busy. I have never participated in a fair but have always wanted to. Maybe next year.


  7. Good luck at next year's fair. Fairtime is almost over here too.

  8. wow, you are amazing! congrats and nice work!

    thank you so much stopping by Prissy Green and being a part of my blog!

  9. What beautiful items!!

    And on another note:

    You won a set of Spifes from my blog. Please check your email you have listed in your blogger profile for an email from me.


  10. You are sooo talented. I wish I could do all that stuff. I really want to know more about how to compost. I know that is off the topic, but I would love to talk to you about it.. If you get the chance please email me with how to get started.