Sunday, August 30, 2009


This weekend Sully earned his ARCH title in APDT Rally. To earn this combined level championship title, we had to earn 100 points and get scores of over 190 in both level 1 and level 2 five separate times. Some people were surprised that we hadn't earned this title before now since we've been competing for a couple of years but we usually only compete one day even if the trials are 2-day trials. (This is both budgetary and I also like to spend at least one day of the weekend at home with my husband.) He also won a third place in his second level 2 run. This weekend we were busted for crooked sits and did fairly poorly on a couple of bonus exercises but still scored over 200 in all four trials.

Now we may take a break from APDT. I enjoy the shows, the people are so friendly and the courses are challenging.'s a LONG day! And this weekend I found myself getting annoyed at the A-levels (which is a terrible attitude to have, I know!) whose dogs seemed...not quite ready for the showring. They begged and pleaded with their dogs to sit, their dogs barely knew heel position, and I know maybe it was the stress of a new place, maybe they can complete all the exercises perfectly at home. But these are minutes (MANY minutes) of my life I will never get back and I spent them under fluorescent lights, being annoyed and getting a headache. In AKC (obedience, not rally), that just wouldn't happen. People know their dogs, when they're proofed and ready and don't enter a dog that is clearly not ready. They understand that your time in the ring isn't for practicing and training your dog! But for the most part, I really enjoy watching the teams, there are some that I just can't help but smile when I watch them!

What will we be doing instead? AKC Graduate Novice (first attempt at the end of October) and further training in AKC Tracking. We may go for our AKC RAE title but AKC rally just isn't as challenging as APDT.

In non-dog news, I start clogging lessons this month! I have wanted to reward myself for keeping up my healthy habits and a dance class seemed a perfect fit! I hope it's fun!


  1. Wow, way to go Sully! You sure do keep busy with him!

    I am contemplating signing Gibson up for a Rally II class in a few weeks, but he is always so distracted by other dogs when we are in these sorts of classes.

  2. Thanks for entering my blog! Looking forward to getting to know you more!

  3. what's your best hint at keeping corgi's a little less fat? Ours just keeps packing on the weight. Well done on your awards. Fabulous.

  4. OH MY!!! I love your Corgi! I have always wanted a Crogi. Love the blog.



    Also, clogging sounds exciting.

  6. AWW! Congratulations to you both! Go Sully! Clogging sounds like so much fun. Have a great time!

  7. My sister has the cutest girl Pembroke Corgi, Kit. She is thinking about the rally for her. It is interesting to read about how your cutie does in his competitions.

    Thanks for the comments about my fair entries. I agree that when more people participate it makes the fair better for everyone.

  8. Hi Corgipants! Came across your blog from Ryans. There are two things I love in this world.... CORGIS & quilting! Love your little blog here. Please come by and visit my corgis (I have two a red and white and a black and white). Now I'm off to read more of your blog. So nice to meet you.