Tuesday, July 14, 2009


It's about time for an update about the garden! Let's start with the edibles! (Click on any picture for a larger version.)The garden is divided into four beds by woodchip paths (which are now mostly weeds but I'm cool with that). Starting from the lower left, this bed has tomatoes, peppers (sweet bell and jalepeno) and growing on the fence are Blue Moon and Rouge Detamps (cinderella's coach-esque) pumpkins. The tomato varieties are Red Russian, Gajo de Melon, Burpee's Jubilee, Brandywine and a yellow tomato that I'm not sure of the name.

The next bed up holds the pumpkins and gourds, including Jack Be Littles, some more Blue Moon and Lumina and a fun assortment of mini gourds with fins, dipper gourds, warts, etc.

Next, to the right we have the zucchini, yellow summer squash and cucumbers. The trellises in this bed are for the cucumbers. This bed also has the perennial crops of rhubarb and green onions since they can be in the corner and undisturbed when I till. And hiding over on the far right are some broccoli and brussels sprouts. I had some excesses seedlings so I went ahead and found space for them.

Under this bed, we have the rotating crops like carrots, spinach, lettuce, kale, and radishes. When one planting is finished, I yank it out and plant something different in it's spot. The carrots have included Creme de Lite (white), Purple Dragon (purple, duh!), and Nantes. Here's a better picture of this rotating bed.In another edible area of the garden, the blackberries are getting ready to turn black!And in yet another edible area, two new additions have been made to the herb garden. I bought some variegated Sage and a Winter Thyme plant. They join the Cilantro, Dill, Fennel, Chives and Sweet and Globe Basil. This is the ornamental pot that sits in the middle of the herb garden on the stump. It has sweet potato vine and ice plant in it.In the courtyard, my potted Caladiums are up and doing their thing. Along with some Coleus in the same color scheme.More Coleus keeps my Lavendar company in the partial shade of the Clematis.This rock is also in the courtyard. I planted the bigger holes in it with a great variety of Sedums I bought from this Etsy Shop.
These are the pots that are on my front porch. More Caladiums, sweet potato vine, and Sedum. Can you tell I like fun colors of foliage?


  1. Great garden you've got there!
    Thanks for the follow/comment! Good luck on the contest!
    I'm now following you, too!

  2. I am completely jealous of your garden - and so intimidated to try one myself! Beautiful!

  3. Thanks for the info on my garden! Yours looks amazing!

  4. I love sweet potato vine! They grow like crazy and don't seem to mind limited attention. Thats my kind of plant!

  5. Your gardening is phenomenal--very inspiring, Jenna! And it is so beautiful too...I like a nice mix of flower and foliage too--variety is the spice of gardening! Happy Days :o)