Monday, July 27, 2009

Blogoversary Q&A

I got three very good questions from three great ladies! Ladies, please email me (beastbunny at hotmail dot com) with your mailing addresses and I'll send you your snail mail goodies.

Question #1 from CieAngel:

When you first started blogging did you think that you would have helped teach so many of us different things and that you would have all of Blogland coming to you about swaps?

Answer: This is a great questions as it will allow me to talk a little bit about when I started blogging. I started blogging in 2003 with a LiveJournal that had no purpose other than to occupy my time. My interested waxed and waned until I started posting tutorials and how-to's on groups and message boards and wanted to create something that people wanted to read. I started the SwapDex because it was something I had been searching for for about three years prior. I knew I didn't want to mix swap posts with personal posts so three days later I created CorgiPants. I can honestly say I hoped that the SwapDex would be helpful to swappers but I was a little reluctant at first because I didn't want to be putting a lot of effort into something that no one would read. Now I know, thanks to wonderful comments and emails, that a lot of people find it really helpful so that makes me really happy!

Question #2 from Krissy:

What is the best thing you've gotten out of blogging for an entire year?

Answer: I would say that writing this blog in particular, I have been pushed to try new things and stretch my skills in crafts and in the kitchen! When I set a goal of creating a tutorial or writing a how-to post, I first do my research to find out what everyone else has available.This is the easy part for me because it's basically what I do everyday at work, search for information. But the next steps, especially the photography for tutorials, is hard for me. I want to make sure my instructions and descriptions are clear but not too boring and wordy. I want to highlight the main points but I don't want to bore anyone with tiny details. I have learned so much in the past year, and still have much to learn.

Questions #3 from Clueless Mama:

Do you have any garden tips for a newbie?

Answer: Location, location, location! So many times I see people lamenting their lack of tomatoes or puny peppers, only to find out that their garden is in a terrible location and gets maybe 2 hours of sun each day. Not only does lack of sun cause slow growth, it leads to moist conditions, perfect for mildew, mold and fungus growth which cause plant decline. Veggie gardens need at LEAST 6 hours of sunlight a day and most veggies prefer direct sun all day long.

Check with your local extension office to find varieties that grow well in your area. Around here, it normally gets so hot in the summer that there are only a few lettuces that will grow well during that time. (This year, it's unseasonably cool and I'll be planting another round of lettuce and carrots next weekend but I would normally wait until later in August.)

And make sure your garden is either near a water source or your hose is long enough to reach! Nothing is more frustrating then trying to water your garden with the hose stretched out over your head ten feet from the edge of your garden. I may have some experience in this area. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou for picking my question. I set you an email.
    Huggs,
    Cleary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogiversary, Jenna! You've been "out there" a long time...to our joy! :o) This was such a fun post...Happy Days, and keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete