Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Presidential Fitness Challenge


Do you remember P.E. test day, when you'd have to do as many sit-ups as you could in 1 minute? And try as hard as you could do 1 (ONE!) pull-up on that stupid bar on the jungle gym? Shuttle run, anyone? Unbeknownst to me each and every year (I guess our school was too poor to provide awards so we never knew how we stacked up) this was the Presidential Physical Fitness Challenge.

Did you know that there is also one for adults? Three are actually two different programs.

The Active Lifestyle program encourages you to be active at least five days a week. When you achieve this for 6 out of 8 weeks, you win an award and can download a certificate and purchase (pretty cheaply) award medals or pins.

Once you are regularly active (or if you already are) the Presidential Champions program awards you specific points values for each activity you log. There are three levels of awards, Bronze, Silver and Gold. The first level, Bronze, takes 20,000 points to earn.

And just like back in grade school, there is also an adult version of the Fitness Test. It includes a 1-mile walk OR 1.5-mile run, sit-ups, push-ups, sit and reach, and takes into account your BMI (Body Mass Index).

All three programs use online tools and can be done on your own or you can join a group with friends or coworkers. I am participating in the Active Lifestyle program right now and over the long weekend, I hope to get all my tests done for the Fitness test! I love goals and challenges, so this sounds fun to me! Yes, a certificate is enough motivation for me, I'm easily satisfied. :)

1 comment:

  1. You know, I think those certificates are something new. Though I vaugely remember getting one at some point. Also, don't be tqalkin' smack about the shuttle run! I used to love that (I was a good sprinter, but my asthma kicked in on longer runs.)

    ReplyDelete