Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Boot Camp Survival Story

I've only been to Boot Camp twice. I can't say I will stick with it for an extended period of time. But so far, I have survived.

Here is the description that the brochure gives for Boot Camp:

Fall in and work out your entire body at stations comprised of strength, cardio and endurance drills.


Here is what it should say:

Pack your sunscreen and get ready to head outside to run, squat, run, sprint, run, push-up and bear crawl your way to exhaustion in this, the gym's most challenging class.


Also some sort of warning about possible vomiting and maybe having to push the instructor's truck across the parking lot as an exercise might be included after an asterisk.

But thanks to a wonderful mantra picked up from Bridget at Numbers Not Allowed, I "don't stop, don't walk" during the running. Last night we ran around the soccer field the entire class, stopping only when the instructor yelled out an exercise for us to do for 1 minute, then he'd yell "RUN" and we'd get up and run until the next exercise "break". Yes, I was the slowest. And the rule was we had to stay together as a group so yes the other 3 people had to run backward or run wide loops sometimes to stay together but they were very good sports.

Next week, for some boot camp variety, I'm checking out the boot camp offered by the park district. We've heard a rumor that our gym's boot camp instructor is moving (but he hasn't said anything to us) so I want to check this one out just in case.

1 comment:

  1. You are really ambitious, aren't you??? I'd be last, behind YOU! I could not take that abuse!!! You're too cool! Don't suffer too much, okay??

    ReplyDelete