Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Our new home!


Our new home!
Originally uploaded by Corgipants
Here it is! I am so happy and relieved to be able to tell you that the inspection went SO well! Better than I could have dreamed! So this is our new house! Very Mid-Century Modern, beatnik, early hippie, earthy, organic. The inspector does not think any changes have been made to the floor plan, which is unusually open-concept for a house built in 1956 so we thank the architect who designed it for being so forward-thinking! I bet it was the place to be back when it was built, really swinging and groovy. Far out! This house makes me think of Allen Ginsberg, Neal Cassady, Ken Kesey, all my favorite people back when I was in high school and was obsessed with The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test.

Excellent points:
LARGE windows
HUGE backyard
VERY minor repairs suggested by the inspection, nothing major!
Lovely brick patio with lovely plants and (my favorite) moss between the bricks!
Two bathrooms! Count them, TWO bathrooms!
Closets galore!
So many cabinets in the kitchen that I will not need a sh**ty IKEA storage unit just to have a place for my pots and pans!
One year home warranty!
My new laundry makes me look forward to my very first load of laundry in the new house! Goodbye cold, cobweb-filled basement every week for laundry day! Hello bright, cheerful laundry room with cabinets and utility sink!

Not as excellent:
One car garage
Older water heater
Will need roof resurfaced in a few years.
Small shed that will need torn down (scary looking Hansel and Gretel house-type)
Basement smells like cat pee, so I will be doing some major airing out and scrubbing with bleach! Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so happy for you guys, it looks so super cute!! I hope when we start house hunting in the next year or two we can find something as cool as a hippie beatnik house! Awesome! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it looks gorgeous! It looks like it'll get some great light inside with all those windows. Oooh, a brick patio with moss sounds lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! The house looks amazing and so unique, I love the big windows! I love this type of home in general, great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great!! Congrats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Cool home. Can't wait to see more of it. I am sure you will be quite busy getting all moved in and all, but you must post interior shots once you are settled. Congratulations! You must be on cloud nine.
    Hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenna, Miriam of Crafter by Night here. First, congratulations on your
    new house! It looks just wonderful!

    Second, I just tagged you for a little look-back-in-time meme, and I hope you'll play along?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much to everyone for their congrats and warm wishes on the new house! We are so excited and anxious to start painting and decorating! I'll try and document that process and post about it here. If I remember to take pictures while I'm in the midst of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Your house is wonderful! You are going to have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete